Tuesday, January 25, 2011

This is what I look like WITHOUT any MAKEUP

I cant believe I'm doing this, but I feel like I have to...
This will probably turn into some sort of rant, but please bare with me, I think this is pretty important.
I'm not very good with words, but I do hope you'll understand what I''m trying to say and do.

I just read a blog(Ive written this last friday) about agorafobia on Beautylab, if you haven't read it, please do. (It's in Dutch though.) Basically, it's about women who are afraid to go outside without makeup on their face.
Now I can understand if you put makeup on your face because you feel better and so on, but this is about BEING AFRAID not to. Apparantly, int he UK, 1 in every 3 women is NOT going outside without makeup, some are even scared to have their own parents see them without any..or even their own boyfriend!?

This makes me really sad, because every person is beautifull in his or her own way, and people should be proud to go out into the world with their own unique face. Instead, our crooked view of beauty makes them hide behind walls of makeup. *shakes her head*

I wear makeup aswell, because I like it. I like using colours to show people my mood or even change my own mood. Or just as an accessorie to go with my outfit. Ofcourse I think I look prettier with it, that's what it's for, right? But I don't use it to hide myself behind it. Makeup to me, is something to enhance someones (inner) beauty, to show people how I feel, to inspire, to create. It's something beautifull, not something to cower beneath.
So that's why I'm going to do something that I don't think I've ever done before: I'm going to post pictures online, of me, without makeup.
Do I have so much selfesteem, that I don't care what people will say? Uhm, no, not really. (So please, no hate comments) But I feel really strongly about this, and to make this point, I have to set an example.


You just totally did this, didn't you? :

LOL.
My mind is still screaming at me ''why are you doing this, are you crazy!?'', but my heart is telling me that this is right.
Yes, this is me without any makeup on. I have not done anything to these pictures, except cropping them and making them a bit smaller. Hell, I've just had the flu and the Mount Everest on my chin has just erupted like the Vesuvius.

No, this is not a sneeky way to tell you that ''see? makeup makes her look a lot better, so I must wear makeup''.
This is a way for me to tell you that YES, I think I look prettier with makeup, but NO, I don't think I should hide behind it.
Do I think I'm beautifull when I see this in the morning? NO, hell NO! But you know what? Does it really matter?
Does my face show you, how I am on the inside? How I love animals? How I love helping people when I can? How I love reading books and loose myself in the fantasy worlds? How I can cry during romantic or sad movies? How I will always pick up the phone in the middle of the night if a friend needs me?Even if I don't like talking on the phone that much?)
No, it doesn't. Beauty is all in the eye of the beholder, and for me beauty really is on the inside. It's more important for me to be nice than to be pretty.

That being said, ofcourse I like to look pretty aswell, but who really decides what IS pretty?


I don't really the way the sides of my nose are always red and make the rest of my face look even paler.
I don't really like that my eyebrows are small and blonde and you can barely spot them from a distance, just like my lashes.
I don't really like the pointyness of my nose.
I don't really like the small upperlip I have, and the paleness of them.
I don't really like my teeth and the way my gums show when I smile.

But you know what? It's the imperfections that make someone unique.
I might not really -like- my nose, but it is -my- nose, and it makes my face different.
My eyebrows may be blonde, but I decided to dye my hair black, and at least I have blonde hairs on the rest of my body aswell.
My teeth were really ugly before I had braces, and maybe I don't like how my smile looks, but I do like how smiling feels. And I won't stop doing that.
And my lips? Well, those are actually the thing that my husband finds hugely attractive. See? All in the eye of the beholder.

And to show you how serious I am about this, here's a shot of my face from the front, something I absolutely hate:
I might not think I'm pretty and I might not have all the confidence in the world, but I CAN say this about myself:
I think the colour of my eyes is beautifull, I think they are quite unique, especially the contrast with the stark white around it.
I like the contour of my face when I look at it from the side.
I like how my small upperlip makes me look more like my mom.
I like how my husband looks at me in the morning and says he loves me, even though I have bedhair, bad breath and probably some dried saliva on the corner of my mouth(I drewl in my sleep :P )


 My husband even loves me when I do this, I like the way it makes him laugh. People shouldn't take themselves to seriously, and should try to laugh more often. Maybe even at theirselves and put things in perspective.
Is it really THAT important to put makeup on your face? Because even with makeup, this:

 ..still looks silly.
So does this:
 That's my crazy smile, it's when I'm in a very annoying mood and want to creep Sid out.

But seriously though...
Some of you might think ''well, I don't think that she looks that horrible, I look wayyyyyyyy more horrible then that, yadadyadaa and so on''. Let me tell you this: I am scared shitless about posting this! Even though I do walk outside without makeup sometimes and when I'm just at home, internet is a LOT bigger than just our mall. Having my naked face all over it, is -not- on the top of my wishlist. And and I think -exactly- the same thing when other women post a picture and say something like ''I look horrible''. That's when I think:''Why does she think THAT, she looks gorgeous! I wish I looked like her''. Sounds familiar?
We all have that little voice inside of our heads that tells us we are not good enough, not pretty enough. In some it's louder than in others, but it's there. Do NOT let it ruin your life, ruin your fun, ruin your beauty. Show that voice that it's wrong and smile! Smile that frown away, smile because your heatlhy, because the world is out there, and smile because YOU. ARE. BEAUTIFULL.
Don't let anyone, not even yourself, -ever- tell you otherwise!

Thunbs up for everyone that's read all of this....I hope I made my point
Thumbs up for every woman that's going out without makeup today.
Thumbs up for every woman that wears makeup because she -wants- to, not because she feels she -has- to.





I believe that beauty shines from within, making you look more beautifull then any fully makeupped catwalk model out there...
You are all beautifull, each and every one of you!


21 comments:

  1. You are so beautiful and I love you dearly for this post! Thank you for doing it.

    If those we love and care about have objections to how we look without makeup then they're not worth our time! Sure every boyfriend would love his girl to look beyond beautiful and perfect but I know mine doesn't give a damn - he surprise visited me last weekend and it had been two months since I had seen him and obviously since I hadn't a clue I was still asleep, with the messiest hair alive, bad breath and - OH HORROR - unshaven legs! Did he care? No. He was just ecstatic to see me.

    And heck, do my family care? No, they've seen me without makeup for most of my life!

    Also, why do we care so much about how others perceive us? They don't know us, and more often than not it's the highly insecure themselves who pick on others.

    Anyway I'm just rambling but THANK YOU for this post, for sharing your "nakedness" with us. You're beautiful (:
    xoxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ik vind je nog steeds prachtig, eerlijk waar :) Een belangrijk iets dat bepaald of een vrouw mooi is (naast natuurlijk simpelweg je uiterlijk), is uitstraling. En dat zit bij jou wel goed :)

    Vooral als je lacht naar de camera vind ik je moooooi ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog colleague. Buz Luhrmans 'wear sunscreen' song came to mind when reading this, a song filled with life's lessons including the one to let go of tHe idea that you're ugly/fat etc. I'm glad I can leave the house without any make-up on without feeling exposed in any way, and yes I'll even open the door in my flanel PJ's (hell, I think my delivery guy has seen my entire collection of 'em). But it did took me some courage to try on a pair of trousers last week, actually buying them an -the horror- wearing them in public. Only to receive compliments on them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a beautiful woman! You truly are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay nekkid face!!! I also did a bare face rant awhile ago because I was tired of people saying that everyone who wears makeup has zero self confidence. And it scared me shitless too but I did it, it's out there on the interwebz and I really don't give a crap that anyone can see it because it's my face and it's the only one I have, and if people don't like it, they don't have to look :)
    And makeupless (probably not a word but I'm on a roll lol) you are STILL BEAUTIFUL!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still think you're gorgeous with or without makeup! It also helps that you have an amazing personality!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You! Yes YOU Sexy Miss Janny...are an inspiration :D

    I love that it isnt a ranting post about "blah blah blah, I hate this that and the other". But just for the record when I saw the photos I didnt (and I promise you this is true) see ANY of the "negative" things you listed. THIS is what I saw:

    * Huge beautiful eyes that smile even when your being serious
    * Kissble lips (If I were that way inclined and didnt think your hubby would murder me I'd smooch ya real good!)
    * Moviestar (as in old time beauty, not "I am a stick knightly") cheekbones
    * Amazingly clear skin (ok granted, a blemish on the chin but I didnt actually even notice it until you mentioned it)
    *Overal a very stunning woman who as you say doesnt "need" makeup but chooses to wear it as she does her clothes - to reflect who she is.

    And I'd just like to say for the record that Codaniel says he prefers me without makeup...and hes the only person I've ever believed. So much so when I'm here in the states I very rarely put on more than my "essentials" and often dont wear any at all. I even took photos and put them on facebook on one of our dates where I didnt have makeup on!

    So ladies - take a leaf out of Jannys book because she is an inspiration to us all;

    Be proud of who you are, wear makeup when YOU want to, HOW you want to and have the confidence to say "Nope, no make up today" :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're beautifull too without make-up!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're cute and funny! Does your husband prefer you without make-up? My boyfriend always tells me that no matter how beautifully I applied make-up, he likes it, but he thinks I'm more beautiful without it... <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post!!!
    I think it's really important to like (and also love) yourself the way you are and the way you look.
    Make-up should be an enhancement and not a mask to hide your true self.
    Myself, I usually don't wear a lot of make-up.
    Most of the times just mascara and lip gloss/ lip stick or lipbalm (and nail polish ;) ), because most other make-up tends to rain off (I live in the Netherlands and have to go everywhere by foot or bycicle).

    Often when I'm busy or feel ill, or I just don't feel like it, I don't wear any make-up at all for a few days, and I'm ok with it.
    I like myself better when I'm wearing a bit of make-up but I think I'm ok without it.

    I also think YOU look beautiful withour any make-up on!
    You've got gorgeous porcelain skin, big twinkling eyes (and yes, they are a great colour!), a great smile and sensual lips, amongst other things.

    So be confident, because you are beautiful!!!

    My boyfriend also loves me with no make-up on, with bedhair and dressed in sweats, so I feel beautiful around him, no matter what :D!


    Btw, you made me think about this issue, and I might blog about this as well (and I'll put a link to your post in as well)>

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mooi stuk hoor! Je hebt echt helemaal gelijk!

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay, ive gotten all teary eyed here...
    I seriously did not write this to get all these compliments, but they do warm my heart. :)

    Sidney always thinks im beautifull, and will always tell me so. Even when im lying on the couch, with the flu, in sweats, without makeup and uncombed hair, he'll just kiss me and tell me how much he loves me. Yeah, he's one of the good guys :)

    I was kinda nervous, coming out of bed and sitting behind my laptop, but apparantly, it was not needed. We can't all be super-confident ;)

    Feel free to link this, or to place your own rant about it, just.. SPREAD THE WORD!
    Because there are still women out there who are afraid, and we must tell them that they are beautifull in each and every way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The face I wake up next to every day is the face I chose to spend the rest of my life with. You can look wonderful with all kinds of make up for which your eyes are perfect....

    But the look I love the most is in the morning, messy hair, eyes still adjusting to the light and a feint smile on your lips as we kiss each other goodbye for the day.

    The post shows
    guts for which I admire you
    beauty for which I adore you
    and a personality for which I love you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tres cool: you rock!

    And yes, love your eyes, love your smile, love your skin, love the crazy, love the theater, love the courage, well, lets just say you're a great package deal!!!!!

    And yes, I do go out without make-up, my honey always prefers me in the buff anyway LOL and yes, I still use make-up anyway because it is just fun and that is what it should be!

    Wearing no make-up does not equal being unkept, (and unshaven legs are not unhygienic) and all beauty trends change with the season. The pretty ladies in our beloved Dutch portrait tradition used to pluck all their eyebrow hairs and their lashes, people, and they thought they were fab!

    Pick what you want, leave what you don't care for, and never mind "them". "They" should get a life, and why don't you?!

    You are uniquely YOU.
    Celebrate yourself, always!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is a BEAUTIFUL post all around. I think the only thing that looks different about you wearing makeup and not is:
    1. You look younger.
    2. You're really good at eye makeup so your eyes don't pop AS much, but they still are amazing eyes...really!
    3. And you look squeaky clean like you just got out of the shower, and there is NOTHING wrong with a girl who takes a shower! LOL

    I have a friend who is so terrified of being seen without makeup that she made sure she had some when she went into labor with her son...she had it when she was recovering from a hard labor and her son was in intensive care...to worry about makeup at a time like that must be a very sad feeling....I think you doing this post is an amazing thing for people like her. You should be VERY proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have beautiful skin! This was a great read.

    I have yet to meet someone that is afraid to go out without any makeup on. (Or at least they would never admit it)
    I do see people wear makeup when I go running. It really is the oddest thing. Makeup does not look good on a sweaty chick at 95 degrees with high humidity.

    I too have posted photos, well one so far, of me without makeup. Unfortunately it was after my mountain biking accident, and it looks kind of like I was hit by a car. :oP

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't find anything wrong with this pictures, lol!
    You rock, with or without makeup!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your beautiful and brave!!! Lovely photos XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome post. I completely agree with everything you said.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the post and you realy look good w/o makeup

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the post :)) Can only agree with the sweet comments people left for you. You're a beauty with or without make-up!! You've a very sweet positive spirit about you that i really like!! Good work girl!

    ReplyDelete